Indulge in the timeless flavors of a Classic Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing. Crisp iceberg lettuce topped with tangy blue cheese, crispy bacon, ripe tomatoes, and a drizzle of luscious dressing. This refreshing salad is a culinary delight that combines simplicity and sophistication in every bite.
Elevate your salad game with this iconic dish that never goes out of style.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This Classic Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing has gained popularity and a loyal following for several reasons:
- Rich and indulgent flavors: The combination of creamy blue cheese dressing, smoky bacon, and tangy blue cheese crumbles creates a burst of flavors that tantalize the taste buds. The contrasting tastes of the dressing, crunchy lettuce, and savory toppings creates a satisfying and enjoyable eating experience.
- Textural contrast: The crispness of the iceberg lettuce provides a refreshing and satisfying crunch, while the creamy dressing adds a smooth and velvety texture. The addition of bacon bits and blue cheese crumbles adds extra layers of texture and enhances the overall eating experience.
- Nostalgic appeal: The Classic Wedge Salad has been a staple on menus for decades, evoking a sense of nostalgia and familiarity for many people. This salad reminds them of classic American cuisine and traditional steakhouse favorites.
- Simple yet elegant presentation: This wedge salad’s presentation is visually appealing and often considered aesthetically pleasing. The distinct wedge-shaped lettuce, beautifully dressed with the creamy blue cheese dressing and garnished with colorful toppings, creates an appetizing and Instagram-worthy dish.
- Versatility and customization: While this classic version includes bacon, blue cheese, and tomatoes, this salad can be customized to suit individual preferences. You can add additional toppings like avocado, red onions, hard-boiled eggs, or even grilled chicken or shrimp, making it a versatile dish that can be tailored to personal taste preferences.
- Balance of flavors: The creamy blue cheese dressing adds a rich and tangy component that complements the mild sweetness of the iceberg lettuce and the smoky saltiness of the bacon. The combination of these flavors creates a well-balanced and harmonious taste profile.
Overall, you’ll love this Classic Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing for its combination of flavors, textures, nostalgic appeal, and customizable nature, making it a timeless and satisfying choice for all salad enthusiasts.
RELATED: Classic Cobb Salad Recipe
To make this Classic Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing, you will need the following ingredients:
For the wedge salad:
- Head iceberg lettuce
- Cooked and crumbled bacon (can be cooked in an Air Fryer)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Coarsely chopped pecans
- Sliced green onions
For the Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- Sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper
These ingredients will give you the classic components of a wedge salad with a creamy blue cheese dressing. However, feel free to adjust the quantities and add any additional toppings or variations according to your personal taste preferences.
For the full list of ingredients, and the printable recipe, be sure to check out the recipe card below.
How to make a wedge salad
A wedge salad is very easy to make, coming together quickly in three easy steps. Although it’s super easy, it looks sophisticated and classy.
Step 1 Make the Dressing: To make dressing, place all ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk (or shake) to combine.
Step 2: Place the wedges of lettuce onto a platter or individual serving plates.
Step 3: Pour dressing over the lettuce wedges and sprinkle with bacon, tomatoes, blue cheese, pecans, and green onions.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Make this NAME OF RECIPE, then check out my Montreal Steak Salad with Pears, Cranberries and Honey Mustard Dressing, Roasted Asparagus Caesar Salad, and Classic Waldorf Salad and more of my healthy salad dressing recipes.
TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Read on for tips and substitution ideas on how to make this recipe, how to customize this salad, and how to store this salad.
How do I properly cut and serve the wedge-shaped lettuce?
To properly cut and serve a wedge-shaped lettuce for a Classic Wedge Salad, follow these steps:
- Select a head of iceberg lettuce: Choose a fresh, firm head of iceberg lettuce from the grocery store or farmer’s market. Look for a head that feels heavy and has tightly packed leaves.
- Remove outer leaves: Remove any wilted or damaged outer leaves from the head of lettuce.
- Rinse and dry: Rinse the lettuce under cool running water to remove any dirt or debris. Pat it dry gently with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Cut into wedges: Place the head of lettuce on a cutting board with the stem end facing up. Use a sharp knife to cut it into quarters, slicing straight down through the stem end. Each wedge should be about one-fourth of the entire head of lettuce.
- Plate the wedges: Carefully transfer each wedge to a serving plate or individual salad plates. Ensure that the cut side of the wedge is facing up.
- Garnish and serve: Drizzle the creamy blue cheese dressing over each wedge, allowing it to cascade down the sides. Sprinkle crispy bacon bits and diced tomatoes over the top. You can also add additional toppings like red onions, avocado, or hard-boiled eggs if desired.
- Serve immediately: The Classic Wedge Salad is best enjoyed fresh, so serve it immediately after preparing. The crispness of the lettuce and the flavors of the toppings will be at their best.
Remember to provide a knife and fork for easy eating, so that your guests can cut into the wedge with their utensils while savoring the different components of the salad.
What dressing alternatives can I use for those who don’t enjoy blue cheese?
For those who don’t enjoy blue cheese, there are several dressing alternatives that can be used for a Classic Wedge Salad:
- Ranch Dressing: Ranch dressing is a popular choice for salads and provides a creamy and tangy flavor that complements the crispness of the lettuce. It’s a versatile option that appeals to a wide range of tastes.
- Caesar Dressing: Caesar dressing offers a rich and savory flavor profile with hints of garlic, Parmesan cheese, and anchovies. It pairs well with the freshness of the lettuce and adds a delightful umami taste.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: Balsamic vinaigrette is a tangy and slightly sweet dressing that adds a burst of flavor to the wedge salad. Its acidity helps cut through the richness of the toppings and adds a refreshing element.
- Honey Mustard Dressing: Honey mustard dressing provides a balance of sweetness and tanginess. It adds a touch of complexity to the salad and complements the other ingredients.
Feel free to experiment with different dressings based on personal preference, and remember to adjust the ingredients and quantities to achieve the desired flavor and consistency.
How to store a Wedge Salad
Storing a wedge salad can be a bit tricky due to the dressing and toppings. However, if you need to store it for a short period, here are some guidelines to follow:
- Separate the components: If possible, separate the components of the wedge salad. Remove the toppings like bacon, tomatoes, and any additional ingredients from the lettuce wedge. This will help prevent the toppings from making the lettuce soggy.
- Store the components separately: Place the lettuce wedge in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. Similarly, store the toppings in separate containers or sealed bags.
- Keep the dressing separate: It’s best to store the dressing separately from the salad components. Place the dressing in a small container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep it refrigerated until you are ready to use it.
- Assemble before serving: When you’re ready to serve the salad, take out the components from the refrigerator. Place the lettuce wedge on a plate and arrange the toppings over it. Drizzle the creamy blue cheese dressing on top just before serving.
It’s important to note that a wedge salad is best enjoyed immediately after preparation to maintain its freshness and crispness. If stored for too long, the lettuce may wilt and the toppings may lose their texture. Therefore, it’s recommended to store the components separately and assemble the salad right before serving for the best results.
🍂 Celebrate Autumn with this easy salad!
This delicious green salad with apple and goat cheese is filled with flavor from apples, raisins, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts. It’s easy to make in under 30 minutes for an easy weeknight side dish your whole family will love.
Other classic salad recipes to try
- Classic Tuna Pasta Salad – Made with pasta, canned tuna, celery, carrots, green onion and dill, it’s a healthy and satisfying option for lunch or dinner.
- Classic Broccoli Cheese Salad with Bacon – Creamy dressing, crispy bacon, and fresh broccoli make this salad a crowd-pleaser. Try it now!
- Classic Potato Salad with Eggs – With its creamy dressing, tender potatoes, and hard-boiled eggs, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- Classic Cobb Salad – With a traditional cobb salad dressing, I love this classic cobb salad recipe, and you will too!
For the salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges and rinsed well
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
For the Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make dressing, place all ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk (or shake) to combine.
- Place the wedges of lettuce onto a platter or individual serving plates.
- Pour dressing over the lettuce wedges and sprinkle with bacon, tomatoes, blue cheese, pecans, and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To clean the lettuce, cut into wedges and run water over each wedge holding the lettuce together. Place the wedges into a salad spinner with the wedges on their sides. Genly spin to allow the water to drip from the lettuce.
- The dressing can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days prior to serving. To thin, add additional buttermilk or milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 wedge
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
The provided nutrition information is an estimate and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information.
Feel free to look through the rest of my recipes and if you can’t find the recipe you’re looking for let me know and I’ll do my best to create it for you.