This Classic Broccoli Cheddar Salad with Bacon recipe is the perfect side dish for any occasion! Creamy dressing, crispy bacon, and fresh broccoli make this salad a crowd-pleaser. Try it now!
Subscribe to Salads for Lunch to get a FREE salad cookbook and new salad recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Also stay in touch on: Instagram | TikTok | Pinterest & Facebook.
Why you’ll love this recipe
I love this simple broccoli bacon cheddar salad recipe because it’s a delicious and flavorful dish that combines several different textures and flavors. The combination of the crispy bacon, creamy cheddar cheese, and fresh broccoli creates a unique and satisfying taste. It’s also a versatile recipe that can be served as a side dish, a potluck item, or even as a light meal on its own. Additionally, the recipe is easy to make and can be customized to suit individual preferences by adding or substituting different ingredients.
RELATED: Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Bacon and Almonds
What ingredients do you need to make a broccoli salad with bacon and cheddar?
To make a broccoli salad with bacon and cheddar, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Broccoli florets
- Cheddar cheese
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
For the full list of ingredients, and the printable recipe, be sure to check out the recipe card below.
How to make…
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the bacon, broccoli, cheese, and onion.
Step 2: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, salt, and lemon juice.
Step 3: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
Step 4: Refrigerate until ready to serve. Prior to serving, sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.
Make this Broccoli Cheese Salad with Bacon, then check out my Easy Farro Summer Salad, Summer Peach Salad with Fresh Mint Dressing, and Summer Corn Salad and more of my easy summer salad recipes.
TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Read on for tips and substitution ideas on how to make this recipe, such as how to make this salad gluten-free, and how to store this salad.
What other ingredients can I add to my broccoli salad with bacon?
There are many other ingredients you can add to your broccoli salad with bacon to customize it to your taste. Here are a few ideas:
- Nuts: try adding toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts for extra crunch and flavor.
- Fruit: besides dried cranberries, you can also add fresh grapes, sliced apples, or diced pears for sweetness and texture.
- Vegetables: add some extra color and nutrients by throwing in some cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, or diced bell peppers.
- Herbs: fresh herbs like parsley, basil, or chives can add a pop of flavor and freshness.
- Different cheeses: besides cheddar, you can try using other types of cheese like feta, blue cheese, or goat cheese.
- Creamy additions: some people like to add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the dressing for extra creaminess and tanginess.
Be creative and experiment with different combinations until you find your perfect broccoli salad with bacon recipe!
How can I make my broccoli salad with bacon gluten-free?
To make a gluten-free broccoli salad with bacon, you’ll need to avoid using ingredients that contain gluten. Here are some tips:
- Use gluten-free bacon: Some brands of bacon may contain gluten as a filler or flavoring agent. Look for bacon that is explicitly labeled as gluten-free.
- Use gluten-free mayonnaise: Many types of mayonnaise contain gluten, so it’s important to check the label. Look for a mayonnaise that is certified gluten-free or specifically labeled as gluten-free.
- Use gluten-free vinegar: Some types of vinegar, such as malt vinegar, contain gluten. Look for vinegar that is made from gluten-free sources like grapes or apples.
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and gluten-free broccoli salad with bacon.
Can I use frozen broccoli in my broccoli salad with bacon?
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli in your broccoli salad with bacon. However, it’s important to thaw the frozen broccoli before using it in the recipe. To thaw frozen broccoli, you can either leave it in the refrigerator overnight or steam it for a few minutes until it’s tender. Using frozen broccoli can be a convenient option, especially if fresh broccoli is not available or out of season. However, keep in mind that frozen broccoli may be slightly softer in texture than fresh broccoli.
How long can I store leftover broccoli salad with bacon in the fridge?
Broccoli salad with bacon can last for up to 3-4 days when stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To ensure that the salad stays fresh, make sure that the dressing is well distributed and the salad is covered tightly. You may also want to keep the bacon separate and sprinkle it on top just before serving, as it can become soggy if left in the salad for too long. If you notice any signs of spoilage, such as a bad smell, slimy texture, or discoloration, discard the salad immediately.
☀️ Celebrate Summer with this easy salad!
Creamy Shrimp Pasta Salad
Indulge in the ultimate summer delight with our Creamy Shrimp Pasta Salad Recipe and let the flavors transport you to a sunny beachside retreat. Whether you’re seeking a satisfying meal or a crowd-pleasing dish, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your culinary repertoire. So, grab your apron and get ready to embark on a culinary journey that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy!
Other summer salad recipes to try
- Summer Corn Salad – made with sweet, buttery corn, sweet tomatoes, vibrant red onions, crisp cucumbers, flavorful feta cheese, fresh basil and a tasty dressing. It’s the perfect side dish salad for a summer BBQ!
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Bacon and Almonds – filled with fresh broccoli florets, crunchy cauliflower, almonds and red onions, tender bacon pieces and slivered carrots – a flavourful, colourful, healthy, and ideal salad for a BBQ or a picnic.
- Easy Farro Summer Salad – with fresh grape tomatoes, cucumbers, basil from your garden and tasty vinaigrette is a perfect, easy meal prep idea or potluck side dish.
- Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad – packed with fresh summer vegetables like fresh seasonal corn, radishes, zucchini, heirloom tomatoes straight from the Farmer’s Market or even from your garden – it’s coated with a simple dressing, making a tasty side dish.
Classic Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Salad Recipe
Looking for the perfect side dish for your next BBQ or potluck? Check out this Classic Broccoli Cheddar Salad with Bacon recipe! The creamy dressing and crispy bacon will have your guests coming back for seconds.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 6 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 2 heads or 24 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese cut into small cubes
- ½ red onion, diced
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup roasted, shelled sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, broccoli, cheese, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, salt, and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.
Feel free to look through the rest of my recipes and if you can’t find the recipe you’re looking for let me know and I’ll do my best to create it for you.