A healthier version of a simple, classic broccoli salad that serves as a great fast side dish for any party or potluck. Made with cranberries, sunflower seeds, onion and a homemade Greek yogurt dressing, this is one of my favorite side dishes.
Admittedly, this is a healthy twist on my mother-in-law’s classic Broccoli Salad. Her version is absolutely delicious but I wanted a lighter version that I could take for my lunches at work. It’s crisp, crunchy and fresh, which is exactly what I’m craving this time of year. It’s also seriously addictive, thanks to the sweet-and-savory combination of freshly toasted sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and Greek yogurt dressing. Paired with a chicken breast, this makes a delicious complete lunch!
Standard potluck-issue broccoli salads include mayonnaise, sugar and bacon, and you won’t find any of those here. You can include the usual cheddar cheese to offer some creamy indulgence to the salad, which makes it a perfect transition food from rich holiday meals to healthier options. That said, I enjoy this recipe sans cheese, if you’re craving a lighter salad.
You can buy pre-cut florets but for me it was cheaper and not much more difficult to just buy a few heads of broccoli and cut it myself. This recipe required about 2.5 heads of broccoli for me to make, but your mileage may vary depending on the size of your grocery store’s broccoli!
While this broccoli salad can be served right away, I prefer to let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to let all of the flavors really meld together, and I always enjoy it most the second day.
This simple recipe for Apple Caramel Cheesecake Dip is the perfect fall snack, appetizer or dessert for any occasion! Cream cheese, brown sugar, caramel, Skor chocolate bars and apples. This dessert is always a big hit!
More Salad and Salad Dressing Recipes for Lunch:
- Strawberry Almond Salad with Honey Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Zesty Lime Salad Dressing
- Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Healthy Broccoli Salad *POPULAR
- Easy Greek Quinoa Salad
- Berry and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Salad Dressing
- 1 lbs broccoli florets fresh
- 1/8 cup onion chopped very finely
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 oz plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbps light mayonnaise
- 1 tbps balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbps lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Blanch broccoli (place in boiling water for 20 seconds) run under cool water to make sure it’s not hot
- Mix in small bowl yogurt, mayo, vinegar, lime juice, and Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl add broccoli, onion, and sunflower seeds
- Pour sauce in and fold all ingredients together
You can serve now or set in fridge for 12 or more hours to meld flavors together better.