This Spicy Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad features a simple combination of fresh vegetables, black beans, and quinoa in a zesty lime dressing that makes this the perfect weekday meal!
This salad is brimming with so many fresh and delicious flavors and it’s totally satisfying. Not to mention it’s perfectly healthy too. Just look at the list of ingredients. You get protein from the quinoa and black beans, healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil, and lots of vitamins and minerals from just about everything here. So in other words it’s something you can feel great about eating. It’s also delicious paired with grilled chicken, and of course salmon would be another great option.
I go through phases with quinoa. I eat it endlessly for a few months then I get tired of it and right now I’m in the ‘want to eat it all the time’ phase. Maybe that means I need to be eating other grains like farro or barley. Quinoa, brown rice and oats are just my favs. And quinoa is so versatile, the flavor just goes so well with just about anything. It’s so tasty in this salad.
Quinoa is a superfood for its amazing health benefits and while we generally think of this seed as a grain, it’s the perfect healthy carb to incorporate into our diet! Adding quinoa to your menu is a great way to add extra protein in your meals (making it the perfect meatless Monday choice).
While I add my favorite Mexican inspired veggies, you can swap up this Black Bean Quinoa salad by adding in your favorites (or whatever you have in the fridge). This quinoa salad recipe is created with a quick and easy homemade lime dressing, but you can most certainly use your favorite store bought dressing (red wine vinegar dressing is amother good choice).
Throwing a container of this in my bag for work, means I’ve got a healthy and yummy lunch that keeps me full and satisfied much longer than a burger and fries!
- 2 cups chicken stock, I would recommend using chicken/veggie stock as the cooking liquid
- 1 cup tri colour quinoa
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced bell pepper, about 2 peppers - any color works
- ¼ cup shallot, finely minced (about 1 medium shallot)
- ¾ cup cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ of a medium avocado, diced
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Transfer to a medium saucepan along with chicken broth and season lightly with salt to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- While your quinoa is cooking, prep all your veggies
- Right when the quinoa is done, while it is still warm, add it to a large bowl with the black beans, peppers, shallot, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder
- Season with salt and pepper and mix together thoroughly
- When ready to serve, fold in avocado and spicy lime dressing
- Season to taste with salt and pepper!