These Soft Pretzel Bites with Spicy Mustard Dip are the perfect snack for tailgating. Soft, chewy and bite size with a golden crust, they’re perfect for dunking into a delicious spicy mustard dip that gets a wonderful boost from the addition of hot sauce and maple syrup.
Funny story: I used to hate dijon mustard. (why do all my stories start like this?). I hated it on sandwiches and pretty much everything else. Dijon mustard was the bane of my existence. WHY WAS IT EVEN ON THIS PLANET? well now I can tell you. It’s here to make this dip with.
I’m still not a fan of just straight up dijon mustard. BUT I will say it makes a nice base to play with in the flavor arena. you can do ALL THE THINGS.
Today specifically, we’re mellowing it out with some maple syrup (stop cringing, it’s okay I promise), giving it some bite with hot sauce, and rounding it all out with yellow mustard.
The pretzel bites come together quickly – No need to let the dough rise for hours on end. Just 10 minutes is all it takes and then you’re ready to assemble. Knead the dough, roll it and cut bite sized bits. The key here is in the baking soda bath.
Before baking, the bites are dipped into a bath of baking soda and water, for a quick 20-second swim. Then, they’re spread out onto prepared baking sheets and baked for 10-15 minutes. In those last few minutes of baking, that deep golden colour really develops and then you realize – I made pretzels!
I snack on these all Fall! They’re perfect for tailgating!!!
This simple recipe for Apple Caramel Cheesecake Dip is the perfect fall snack, appetizer or dessert for any occasion! Cream cheese, brown sugar, caramel, Skor chocolate bars and apples. This dessert is always a big hit!
Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 tsp instant rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 3 3/4 cup - 4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour plus additional to coat worktop
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg beaten
- Pretzel salt or coarse sea salt for sprinkling
Spicy Mustard Dip
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp hot sauce
Soft Pretzel Bites
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Stir until yeast is well combined, about 1minute. Some lumps may remain.
- To a mixing bowl add the salt, sugar and melted butter, and the yeast mixture. Stir until combined. Slowly add in 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix by hand or use mixer fitted with dough hook, until dough is thick. Add 3/4 cup more flour and stir. If dough is still sticky, add flour, and additional 1/4 cup at a time, until no longer sticky, and dough bounces back when poked with your finger.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 3 minutes and shape into a ball. Place in a large mixing bowl that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray. Cover and let the rest in a warm area for approximately 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Section dough into six equal parts and roll each section into 20-inch long ropes. Cut each rope into 1-1/2 inch bites.
- Bring 9 cups of water to a boil with the baking soda. Once rapidly boiling, drop 8-10 pretzel bites into water and let sit for 20 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto the lined baking sheet, making sure that pretzel bites do not touch.
- Brush beaten egg over each pretzel bite and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, rotating the sheet pans once halfway through cooking.
Spicy Mustard Dip
- Prepare the mustard dip by combining all the ingredients together in a small dish.
Make ahead: The prepared pretzel dough can be refrigerated for up to one day or frozen for up to three months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerated dough can be rolled and cut while still cold, but allow some extra time for the pretzel bites to puff up before boiling and baking. Baked pretzel bites will freeze well for up to 3 months. Let thaw and reheat in the oven at 300°F until warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.