Try this creamy and delicious avocado chicken salad recipe. Made with juicy chicken, ripe avocados, and a tangy dressing, it’s a nutritious and satisfying meal. Serve it on a sandwich, over a bed of greens, or as a dip for a versatile and tasty dish that’s sure to please.
- Here are three reasons why I love this salad:
- What ingredients do I need to make avocado chicken salad?
- How to make Avocado Chicken Salad
- TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
Here are three reasons why I love this salad:
- Delicious taste: Avocado chicken salad has a creamy texture and a rich, satisfying flavor. The combination of juicy chicken, ripe avocado, and tangy dressing makes it a tasty and satisfying meal.
- Nutritious ingredients: Avocado chicken salad contains a variety of healthy ingredients, including protein from the chicken, healthy fats from the avocado, and fiber from the vegetables. It can be a nutritious and filling meal option.
- Versatile dish: Avocado chicken salad can be served in a variety of ways, such as on a sandwich, as a dip, or over a bed of greens. It’s a versatile dish that can be adapted to different tastes and preferences, making it a great option for a quick lunch or a party platter.
What ingredients do I need to make avocado chicken salad?
- Cooked chicken, deboned and coarsely chopped
- Diced red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced jalapeno
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
Optional ingredients that you can add to your taste or preference include cumin, chili powder, paprika, corn, beans, or bacon. Some recipes may also use a vinaigrette or a citrus-based dressing instead of mayonnaise or yogurt.
How to make Avocado Chicken Salad
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, diced avocado, jalapenos, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.
Step 2: In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice , garlic powder and mayonnaise until smooth. Pour the dressing over the chicken and avocado mixture, and toss to coat.
Step 3: Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Avocado chicken salad can be served on a sandwich, over a bed of greens, or as a dip with tortilla chips or raw veggies.
Note: To make the chicken for the salad, you can use leftover cooked chicken or poach chicken breasts in a pot of water until cooked through. Let the chicken cool before shredding or dicing.
Make this Avocado and Chicken Salad Recipe, then check out my Montreal Steak Salad with Pears, Cranberries and Honey Mustard Dressing, Roasted Asparagus Caesar Salad, and Classic Waldorf Salad and more of my healthy salad dressing recipes.
TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Read on for tips and substitution ideas on how to make this recipe.
Is avocado chicken salad healthy?
Generally, avocado chicken salad can be a healthy option that provides protein, healthy fats, and some vitamins and minerals.
How long does avocado chicken salad keep in the fridge?
Avocado chicken salad can typically be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze avocado chicken salad?
Because of the avocado, it’s not recommended to freeze the entire salad, as it may become mushy when defrosted. However, you can freeze cooked chicken that will be used in the salad.
What are some variations on avocado chicken salad?
Some variations include adding bacon, cheese, corn, beans, or using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. You could also add different seasonings, such as cumin or paprika, to give it a different flavor profile.
Other avocado recipes to try
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa with Avocado – This easy no tomato salsa, often called Cowboy Caviar, makes a great side dish for any picnic, potluck, or party, and is a great way to use up your leftover corn!
- Vegetarian Mexican Inspired Pasta Salad – Tender pasta is combined with Mexican-inspired flavors that’s loaded with corn, black beans, tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, and a creamy lime dressing for a perfect summer time salad, great for barbecues, picnics, grilled meats or fish and more!
- Spring Salad with Homemade Green Goddess Dressing – This salad with mandarin oranges, cashews and avocado paired with a healthy Green Goddess dressing is so easy to make, crazy delicious and can pull triple-duty as a dressing, dip or a sauce! It’s light & fresh, yet ultra creamy and packed with amazing flavor!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, deboned and coarsely chopped
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno, seeds removed
- ½ lime, juice only
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Stir all ingredients together until completely blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Best served immediately to avoid discoloration of the avocado.
- Serve on crackers, celery sticks, croissants, or your favorite bread.
To make the chicken for the salad, you can use leftover cooked chicken or poach chicken breasts in a pot of water until cooked through. Let the chicken cool before shredding or dicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g
The provided nutrition information is an estimate and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information.