Looking for a low-carb and high-protein lunch option? Try my delicious keto egg salad recipe!
Made with hard-boiled eggs, bacon, mustard, and avocado, this low-carb egg salad recipe is perfect for anyone following a ketogenic diet. It’s easy to make, packed with nutrients, and sure to satisfy your hunger cravings. Give it a try and enjoy a healthy and satisfying lunch today!
- Can egg salad be keto friendly?
- 5 reasons why you’ll love this recipe
- What ingredients are needed to make a low-carb egg salad?
- How to make egg salad with avocado and bacon
- Tips and frequently asked questions
- Other keto and low carb recipes to try
- Avocado and Bacon Keto Egg Salad Recipe
Can egg salad be keto friendly?
Yes! Egg salad can definitely be keto-friendly, depending on the ingredients used. This egg salad recipe includes mayonnaise, which is a high-fat and low-carb ingredient, making it suitable for the keto diet. Some recipes may also include high-carb ingredients like bread or sweet pickles, which are not keto-friendly.
To make a keto egg salad, you use hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and other keto-friendly ingredients like mustard, chopped bacon, avocado or cheese for added flavor and nutrition. By avoiding high-carb ingredients and focusing on healthy fats and protein, egg salad can be a delicious and satisfying meal option for those following a ketogenic diet.
5 reasons why you’ll love this recipe
- Creamy and Flavorful: The combination of avocado, mayo, and bacon creates a deliciously creamy and flavorful base for the egg salad.
- High in Healthy Fats: Avocado and bacon are both high in healthy fats, which are important for a healthy ketogenic diet.
- Low in Carbs: This recipe is low in carbs, making it a great option for anyone following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is quick and easy to make, making it a great option for a healthy lunch or snack on-the-go.
- Versatile: The Avocado and Bacon Keto Egg Salad Recipe can be customized to suit different tastes and preferences, by adding in other ingredients such as diced vegetables, herbs, spices and cheese.
RELATED: Best Ever Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
What ingredients are needed to make a low-carb egg salad?
To make this low carb egg salad you will need only 7 ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen:
- Hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- Cooked bacon, crumbled
- Avocado, pitted and diced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
How to make egg salad with avocado and bacon
This lunch salad comes together quickly in two easy steps. First you hard boil the eggs and remove the shells, then you stir all of the ingredients together until well blended.
Tips and frequently asked questions
Read on for tips and substitution ideas on how to make this recipe.
How many carbs are in egg salad?
For this recipe, a one-cup serving of egg salad typically contains around 3-4 grams of carbohydrates. However, if you add additional ingredients to your egg salad like diced vegetables, or pickles, the carb count may increase slightly.
It’s important to note that the carb count can also vary depending on the type of mayonnaise used. Some mayonnaise brands may contain added sugars or other high-carb ingredients, so be sure to check the nutrition label before using. If you’re following a low-carb or ketogenic diet, it’s recommended to track your daily carb intake to ensure you stay within your daily limit.
Can I use mayonnaise in a low-carb egg salad?
Yes, you can definitely use mayonnaise in a low-carb egg salad. In fact, mayonnaise is a common ingredient in traditional egg salad recipes and it is also low in carbs, making it a great option for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
Just make sure to choose a mayonnaise brand that is sugar-free and has no added carbohydrates. You can also try making your own mayonnaise at home using healthy oils like avocado oil or olive oil for added nutritional benefits. By using mayonnaise in your low-carb egg salad, you can create a creamy and flavorful base for your recipe without adding unnecessary carbs.
What are some low-carb sides to serve with egg salad?
- Veggie sticks: Serve egg salad with raw vegetable sticks like cucumber, celery, bell peppers, and carrots. These veggies are low in carbs and high in fiber, making them a great option for those on a low-carb diet.
- Leafy greens: Serve egg salad on a bed of leafy greens like spinach, arugula, or romaine lettuce. These greens are low in carbs and provide a good source of vitamins and minerals.
- Cauliflower rice: Serve egg salad with a side of cauliflower rice. This low-carb rice alternative is high in fiber and provides a similar texture to traditional rice.
- Pickles: Serve egg salad with a side of dill pickles. These pickles are low in carbs and add a nice tangy flavor to the dish.
- Cheese crisps: Serve egg salad with cheese crisps made from grated parmesan or cheddar cheese. These crisps are low in carbs and provide a nice crunch to the meal.
- Roasted nuts: Serve egg salad with a side of roasted nuts like almonds, pecans, or walnuts. These nuts are low in carbs and high in healthy fats, making them a great option for those on a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
How to store keto egg salad
To store keto egg salad, it’s important to refrigerate it properly to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Transfer the egg salad to an airtight container: Once the egg salad has been prepared, transfer it to a clean and dry airtight container. This will help to keep the egg salad fresh for a longer period of time.
- Refrigerate promptly: Place the container of egg salad in the refrigerator as soon as possible. This will help to prevent the growth of bacteria that can cause foodborne illnesses.
- Store for up to four days: Egg salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. After that, it’s best to discard any remaining egg salad to ensure food safety.
- Avoid freezing: Egg salad does not freeze well, as the texture and flavor can be altered when thawed.
By following these steps, you can safely store keto egg salad in the refrigerator and enjoy it for several days as a delicious and convenient meal option.
❄️ Celebrate Winter with this easy salad!
With the festive hues of red beets, green arugula, and golden slivered almonds, this Christmas salad recipe is a celebration of flavors and a feast for the eyes that will make your holiday spread merry and bright!
Other keto and low carb recipes to try
- Meal Prep Keto Egg Bake Breakfast Casserole
- No Bean Keto Instant Pot Chili
- Low Carb Keto Turkey Meatballs
- Best Ever Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- 10 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, stir all of the ingredients together until well blended.
- Serve with celery or low carb crackers.
Due to the browning of the avocado, this is best eaten immediately. If making ahead, refrigerate and add the avocado just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 326mgSodium: 458mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g
The provided nutrition information is an estimate and it does not take brands into account. I use an automatic API to calculate this information.