Gnocchi’s plump, pillowy texture and mild, delicate flavor make them perfect for rich, hearty soups like this Creamy Gnocchi Bacon Soup. Red pepper flakes give this soup a tasty zing. This soup is so comforting and delicious…it’ll warm you inside and out. One of the best soups that I have made in a long time. Enjoy!
Why you’ll love this recipe
Does soup get any more comforting than this? This Creamy Bacon and Gnocchi Soup makes for the perfect dinner any day of the week and it’s definitely one of those things everyone can agree on. It’s the perfect ending to a long work day or busy day with the family. This is a one pot soup that comes together quickly and you’ll love how hearty and perfectly creamy it is. Dinners just got a whole lot better now that we’ve added this soup into the regular rotation!
What is Gnocchi?
Appropriately, gnocchi (pronounced NYOH-kee) means “lumps” in Italian. Gnocchi are thick, small, and soft dough dumplings that may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs, cornmeal, or similar ingredients usually served with a sauce. Gnocchi can be found with the fresh pasta in your grocery store’s refrigerated foods section, or can be found in the frozen foods section. In this recipe I used Olivieri Potato Gnocchi. When gnocchi are cooked, they transform into light, fluffy pillows that absolutely melt in your mouth with deliciousness!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this soup recipe
- Chicken broth
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Dried parsley
- Cream cheese
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Half and half cream
- Frozen corn
- Crisp-cooked bacon
- Potato Gnocchi, (2 packages)
Tips on Making Creamy Gnocchi Soup
The soup is made with onions cooked up with a little butter and then made into a roux. Its the perfect base for this soup to load it with flavor, and to help thicken it up. Then you’ll add cream, cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese. bacon, corn parsley and red pepper flakes to make the creamy, delicious broth with just the right amount of spice from the red pepper flakes. Add cooked gnocchi and you’ll have your family coming back for more!
Can I freeze Creamy Gnocchi Soup?
Can you freeze the Creamy Gnocchi Soup. Yes, you can freeze this soup. The soup stays well in the freezer for a couple of months when stored in an air-tight container.
This simple recipe for Apple Caramel Cheesecake Dip is the perfect fall snack, appetizer or dessert for any occasion! Cream cheese, brown sugar, caramel, Skor chocolate bars and apples. This dessert is always a big hit!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 28 oz. chicken broth, (2 cans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups half and half, can use fat free but soup will be thinner
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 700 g Potato Gnocchi, (2 packages of Olivieri Potato Gnocchi)
- Saute butter and onion until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 can chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley to the onions bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Add cornstarch mixture to the pot stirring constantly.
- Add cubed cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add remaining can of chicken broth, half and half, corn, and crumbled bacon, and heat through but do not bring to a boil.
- Cook gnocchi in a separate pot according to package directions.
- Add cooked gnocchi to creamy soup mixture, stir and enjoy!
Can you freeze the Creamy Gnocchi Bacon Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup. The soup stays well in the freezer for a couple of months when stored in an air-tight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 658Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1436mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g