Spicy Cajun Roasted Chickpeas are a healthy snack alternative to processed foods. You won’t feel the least bit guilty about eating them. These roasted chickpeas are also great on salads and in wraps. Healthy and oh so delicious!
- How to make your chickpeas actually crispy
- #1: Rinse and thoroughly dry your chickpeas
- #2: Bake them “naked” first!
- #3 Spice them up
- #4: Let them cool in the oven with the door ajar
- Spicy Cajun Roasted Chickpeas
- Spicy Cajun Seasoning
- Recommended Products
- Nutrition Information:
How to make your chickpeas actually crispy
The process of roasting chickpeas (for a healthy snack) or crouton replacement salad topping starts with these basic steps that are pretty key to insuring they reach their maximum crispiness!
#1: Rinse and thoroughly dry your chickpeas
After rinsing my chickpeas, I pat them dry with paper towel, then let them air dry in the sun for 10-15 minutes.
#2: Bake them “naked” first!
I spray the baking sheet with cooking spray, then I bake the chickpeas after they have been thoroughly rinsed and dried) for 15 minutes without any oil or seasoning on them. This way they begin to crisp up before they absorb any of the olive oil.
#2: Slowly add the olive oil: You want to avoid using too much oil to coat the chickpeas after their “naked time” in the oven. Start with 1 TBS and then, if needed, add more just a drop at a time. You need just enough so the spices will stick to the chickpeas!
#3 Spice them up
Let your imagination run wild! I have given you my favourite combination of delicious flavours here, but feel free to use whatever you prefer! In this post, Im sharing how to make roasted chickpeas with a spicy cajun flavour, but you may want to give them a garlic parmesan flavour for a caesar salad crunchy chickpea crouton. You can even just use simple old salt and pepper if you like!
#4: Let them cool in the oven with the door ajar
I turn off the oven at the end of baking, slightly crack the door, and leave the chickpeas in there to cool. This ensures that their crispy crunch will last for days!
This healthy Vegan Spring Minestrone soup recipe is a delicious celebration of spring vegetables. Asparagus, kale, and fennel all shine in this simple and delicious minestrone soup.
- 540 ml can of unsalted chickpeas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Spicy Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the chickpeas.
- In a small bowl, mix together spices for Spicy Cajun Seasoning. Set aside.
- Bake dried chickpeas in the preheated oven on prepared baking sheet for 15 minutes (do not add any of the other ingredients yet)!
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven and drizzle ½ TBS olive oil over the chickpeas, stirring until evenly coated. If necessary, slowly add more olive oil until all the chickpeas are lightly coated with olive oil.
- Add spices to chickpeas and stir until evenly coated.
- Bake at 400 for 10 more minutes, then stir.
- Return stirred chickpeas to the oven and bake them for an additional 5-10 minutes, until desired crispiness is achieved (a total of 35-40 minutes of baking).
- Turn off oven and crack the door a bit. Let chickpeas cool in the oven to achieve maximum crispiness
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 537mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g