These chili lime chicken kabobs with veggies makes a nice and healthy summer BBQ dish and pairs well with a quinoa salad.
We can never get enough of our way too short grilling season around here. I know you can grill in the winter (and we do occasionally), but there is something extra special about summer grilling that is so much more enjoyable. Perhaps it’s the nice warm weather? Backyard BBQ parties would be a wee bit cold here in the winter months. 🙂
My favourite part of grilling season is skewers. Kabobs are always a hit with us. There are so many variations to enjoy that you can never really get tired of eating them. You can just about choose any meat, fish, veggie or fruit and come up with loads of combinations and grill till your hearts (or stomachs) content.
While you can get kabobs that are already made up in the meat section of the grocery store, they are easy also to make at home so you don’t need to spend the high price they charge in the store. With a few ingredients and a little effort, you can become the kabob pro in no time.
For the skewers, you can choose stainless steel which is reusable, or you can purchase single-use bamboo. The stainless steel version can also attach to your rotisserie if you have that feature on your gas grill.
- Why you’ll love this recipe for Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs
- How to make Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs
- Serve with a Quinoa Salad and enjoy!
- Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs with Veggies
- Nutrition Information:
- Peach Quinoa Salad
- Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- Corn and Black Bean Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Heart Healthy Mixed Bean Salad
Why you’ll love this recipe for Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs
My Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Skewers consisted of chunks of chicken that were marinated in chili-lime seasoning and olive oil, along with pieces of red, green and yellow peppers, and red onions. Grilled to perfection they are awesome along side a salad or two and believe me your guests will be thrilled.
How to make Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs
Start by cutting your chicken into nice chunks. Coat the pieces nicely with the oil, sprinkle on the seasoning, rub with your hands to distribute, and marinate in the fridge for about an hour (or longer if you wish).
While that is happening, wash and cut your veggies into bite size pieces.
Get your skewers. If you are using bamboo, be sure to soak them in water before assembling the kabobs. Now comes the fun (and easy part). Put the meat and veggies on the skewer. There is no right or wrong way to do this, arrange them however you like. I like to have a few pieces of veggies clumped together between the meat pieces, but the choice is yours to make.
Get your grill ready. Hubby did these on the gas grill at about 325º F. Oil the grill before you place your skewers on to cook. He gave them 1/4 turn every 5 minutes or so. Cook until the meat has reached your desired level of doneness. Since these are chicken, we wanted them cooked through and this took about 30 minutes.
Once done, place on a serving platter, squeeze with a bit of fresh lemon juice, and garnish with a bit of cilantro (optional). There you have it Perfect homemade kabobs that are easy to make and delicious to eat.
Serve with a Quinoa Salad and enjoy!
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cayenne pepper to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Add in chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper. Place the chicken in a shallow dish with the sauce, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the BBQ grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken and veggies onto skewers, and discard marinade.
- Lightly oil the grill. Grill skewers on top grill for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 36g