Mother’s Day is one of my favourite days of the year because it’s one of the ONLY days we have without any organised sports (Christmas and Thanksgiving are the other two days). Having a day for us to spend together is a great day for me to be active WITH my girls. Last year on Mother’s Day my best running friends and I ran to a neighbourhood park while ALL of our kids (7 of them) rode their bikes beside us for a fun park workout (sprints, tricep dips, hill repeats etc) plus we had lots of fun playing on the playing tag on the structure.
Because I think it’s really important for kids to be active with their families I thought I’d share with you some fun exercise activities to do with your kids this Mother’s Day in case running or cycling isn’t your thing.
Here are 6 fun exercise activities to do with your kids this Mother’s Day (and yes, I’ll be doing a few of these too):
- Yoga– Yes, kids can do yoga too! It’s important though to keep it fun and interesting for them as they tend to lose interest quickly. With kids yoga, the focus is more on getting to know one’s body in a fun, playful way. Cosmic Kids Yoga uploads a fun new cosmic yoga adventure every month for you to enjoy with your little ones:https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
- Crank up the music and have a dance party! Need some help with dance moves? Then look no further than these Just Dance YouTube videos for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjweE6UMxHxasUEvWPCpmf
- Grab a picnic basket and go for a nature walk– Fill water bottles halfway with water, then freeze them. Once they’re frozen, fill the rest of the bottle with water. Then pack a healthy lunch in a basket or backpack. the partially frozen water bottles doubles as a source of hydration and ice pack to keep your lunch cool. Go for a nice walk with the family exploring as you go. While you walk discuss why mushrooms grow on trees, why moss only grows on the darks side of trees, where squirrels live, why leaves change colours in the fall etc.
- Take everyone out for an active activity– Bowling, swimming, ice skating, skiing, inline skating, laser tag, an indoor trampoline park, etc. All of these are great ways to bring fun and family time into an active activity.
- Play fitness class with the kids– Each family member takes a turn leading the family as the “fitness instructor”. Set a timer for 1 min work and 20 seconds rest intervals using the gymboss app (available on iTunes and Android). Use your creativity and have fun!
- Explore a new park – Play tag or grounders with the family at a new playground. Leave your phone at home and make it a personal challenge to not sit down at all.
Happy Mother’s Day!
I hope you have a fun and active day with your family!
Pin it for later: