As I shared a month ago, I’ve been really struggling. I’m pretty much struggling with everything – food, fitness, work, my weight, finding balance… everything. My inner voice has not been kind to me at all lately, and for about the last 6 months I’ve wondered – what’s wrong with me?!? Is it because it’s winter? Then I realised that in the hustle and bustle of LIFE I forgot about the things that make me HAPPY, and thus I haven’t been very happy, which in turn has caused me to struggle with just about everything else.
So I thought that the first step in regaining control, would be to make a list of the 5 things that make me happy:
- Running – I’m listing running first because I literally have hundreds of smiling running selfies on my camera roll (and in my blog archives) so I must like running, or something 🙂 Truth is running is definitely the #1 thing that makes me happy. Just over a year ago I stopped running on my lunch breaks and this is when I think the happiness started to fade. I need to run, outside, in the daylight by my self. I had no idea how much that was keeping me sane until it suddenly stopped. I need to find a way to be able to run on my lunches again.
- Sun – There’s nothing quite like the feel of the warm sun on my skin. Sun, and quite likely vitamin D make me feel happy and alive!
- Water – pool, beach, lake, I’m not picky – any of those will do, just as long as its also sunny out. I love love love the sound of water, it’s my happy place. (I can’t wait until we open the pool in 6 weeks from now!).
- Exploring new places – preferably in the sun, near water, while running. To this day I think my most favourite runs ever were along the beach in Peurto Vallarta, and the other run I did around the lake in Lake Placid. Those were awesome!
- Spending time with my hubby – I also love spending time with my daughters, but I get a lot of that time. I’m listing time with the hubby because I don’t think we’ve been on a date just the two of us since August. He really makes me laugh when we’re out just the two of us. I miss that.
I think I need to make a plan to be able to incorporate more of these things in my life. I’m tired of being tired and tired of struggling. When I’m happy everything else seems easy.
What things make you happy?
Have you ever found yourself struggling? How did you find your way back to happiness?