Happy Monday everyone!
First things first, you may have noticed that I’ve given my blog a brand new facelift! (Which means if you’re reading this in a feed reader you’ll have to click over to see the new look). I wanted a more modern look that showcases the recipes that I’ve spent hours creating, photographing and sharing. After debating between developing my own design, or customising an existing one, I decided to go with customising the Sprout & Spoon theme from SoloPine. Let me know what you think!
Sports-wise it was a nice and relaxed weekend in Salads 4 Lunch land, coupled by the fact that I messed up Amber’s hockey schedule, so I found myself with a lot of “free” time at home. While I probably should have spent it doing housework, I decided to use it to work on the blog.
In addition to wanting a new look, I wanted to fix things that haven’t been working properly for years:
- comments mysteriously stopped working two years ago, so I switched to facebook comments
- my database became corrupt and random weird symbols showed up in old posts
- my site was very slow to load
- my database had become large and unstable
- orphaned tables existed in my database from long forgotten plugins
- my site was full of plugins that I had used as work arounds for various issues (ie: facebook comments)
With some time on my hands I decided that it was time, once and for all, to give the blog a new look and to jump into the back end and fix things. Admittedly I kind of cheated, I didn’t actually fix things, instead I started off fresh. I installed a clean new copy of WordPress on my hosting, then imported all of my old posts, and copied over all of my images.
Last month I shared with you my fitness goals:
- Run more often – there are 4 weeks of September this year, so my goal is to go for 16 runs (4 runs/week). EDIT – at an average of 7km/run I’m aiming to run 115km or more this month. RAN 104KM
- Strength train – go to my boot camp class at lunch 7 times this month (2 classes/week). Went to 6 classes.
- Less alcohol – resist the urge to have a beer in the evenings (unfortunately this might be the hardest goal to accomplish). Only had alcohol on Friday nights.
- Nutrition – more protein, less baked goods and log my meals with Myfitnesspal. Done
In order to reach my goals I ate A LOT of quick grab salads from Longos – sometimes twice a day! While my calorie intake was low, so was my protein intake, next month I’ll have to work harder at making sure I get the protein my body needs to fuel my workouts.
Bluecheese and Pear Steak Salad from Longos
I lost 5lbs and 1.9% body fat (according to the Fitbit Aria scale)!
I can see the changes in the mirror, and can definitely feel it when I run – running is MUCH easier!
Along with the new blog look, I’ve been thinking about my goals for this month, and going forward through the winter. Now that the kids are older they demand less of my time and want to do things on their own, so I’m going to start setting some blogging goals that go along with my fitness goals. Since I’m eating healthier and doing more strength workouts I want to share my recipes and workouts more often.
October blog goals:
- Share three new recipe posts
- Share three new workout posts
- Share three posts each week
October fitness goals
- Up my running from four times/week to five times /week
- I have eight bootcamp classes scheduled this month – I’ll go to those plus add in 1 more HIIT workout at home each week (that I’ll share in my workout posts)
- Continue to log my meals with MyFitnessPal
Last week’s fitness:
Monday: Lunch bootcamp class
Tuesday: 7.37k morning run @6:16/km pace
Wednesday: Lunch bootcamp class (this class had a huge focus on CORE strength, ugh!), went for an hour walk with Amber while Brooke was at hockey practice
Thursday: 5.36k lunch run @6:03/km pace – did this workout as 1 km speed repeats
Friday: 8k morning run @6:51/km pace (was trying to chat with Becky while running, hadn’t quite recovered from Thursdays speed repeats)
Sunday: 2 hour hike with Amber
This week’s fitness plan:
Monday: Morning Run + Lunch bootcamp class
Tuesday: 8k Morning run
Wednesday: Lunch bootcamp class
Thursday: 8k Morning run
Friday: 8k Morning run
Saturday: HIIT Workout
Sunday: 10k Trail Run?
How was your training last week? What are your goals for October?
Join the #MOTIVATEME link up!
The “rules” are simple:
1. Every Monday share your fitness, nutrition plan etc by linking them up. All you will need is your post’s URL, and a photo you would like to attach.
2. Posts that aren’t related will be deleted.
4. Read what the other linkers are sharing, Visit at least 2 other bloggers’ posts and share some support by commenting and engaging with each other. The more you support, the more support you will get back.
For more easy recipes, running tips and workouts please LIKE Salads for Lunch on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free monthly newsletter below which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love.😉