Happy Monday everyone!
As I look around my neighbourhood I am loving the rich red and orange hues of the leaves. Fall is so beautiful, it’s like the “sorry” before the sting and ugliness of winter. Fall running is probably the best time for running in my opinion. The temperatures are cooler, and the trees look amazing. Over the weekend I got out for a nice fall run with my bestie, and it was simply wonderful! The colors were breathtaking!
Unfortunately with fall also comes early morning runs in the dark. The days are definitely getting shorter and it is no longer light out for our before work runs. Even as I finish my runs with my running buddies it’s still dark out, which means it’s very important to dress to be visible to the sleepy drivers who aren’t expecting to see pedestrians, particularly runners early in the morning. I have lost count of how many drivers we encounter who are simply not paying attention. It’s because of this that I wanted to take this opportunity to remind you to pay attention to the drivers when you’re out for a morning walk or run, and to stay visible by wearing:
My husband always says that the real test of a woman’s beauty is what she looks like at 7 am, though I’m sure he wasn’t picturing his wife looking like a miner first thing in the morning. On the plus side, at least I’m staying safe and visible.
This week was my half marathon recovery week from Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront (Half) Marathon. I’m happy to tell you that I really did take it easy to let my body recover. I took Monday and Tuesday completely off, did some Yoga with Juliette before work on Wednesday, ran on Thursday morning, took Friday off, went for a nice run on Saturday morning, then did Cosmic Kids Yoga with Amber later in the day. Sunday was also another rest day. With all of this rest I’m starting to go crazy, though I know my body needed it because I no longer feel exhausted, yay!
This past weekend was pretty low-key for us. I was badly in need of a relax at home weekend, so other than the girls hockey that’s what I did. Friday night the girls went to skating at the arena, then we came home and watched the Blue Jays game. Unfortunately they lost to Kansas City who were really smart to take advantage of the fact that Bautista has a habit of throwing to the wrong base when there are runners on. (Grrrrrr! He should have thrown the ball HOME not to second in that last inning!). While watching the game I began working on Deborah’s blog makeover.
Saturday morning hockey started late (first practice was at 10 am), so I went for a run with Juliette before doing my chauffeur duties. After wards I dropped Sierra off at an arena in our town for her procatice (hubby was already there with Brooke), then I headed to another town for Amber’s hockey practice. Her Tyke hockey is so cute! Afterwards I had a nice lunch with Amber, then came home and finished Deborah’s blog makeover. Here’s the finished product:
(You can read more about it here).
Sunday was hockey picture day and the girls had hockey games. Thankfully they were all at the same arena back to back so I got to watch! Amber was adorable posing for her first hockey pictures:
Even though I’m no longer training for anything, I’ll still post a fitness plan for the week. This will definitely help to keep me active (and will hopefully curb the desire to do too much). Here’s this week’s plan:
Tuesday:8k run + kettlebell strength workout for runners
Wednesday: Day off from work – swim? Thursday: 8k run + kettlebell strength workout for runners
Friday: Pleasure skating at the arena with the kids?
Saturday: Halloween! Walk with the kids while they go Trick or Treating
Sunday: Crazy busy hockey day – kettlebell strength workout for runners
This week’s move of the week: Dumbbell Side Lunge
Primary muscle group(s):
Abs, Glutes & Hip Flexors, Hamstrings
- Begin by standing with dumbbells in hand at your sides.
- Place your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a big step to the right with your right foot, keeping your arms straight.
- Land with your heel followed by the rest of your foot and flex the right knee so that you lower your hip and body until your knee and hip are at a 90 degree angle. Keep your left leg only slightly angled.
- Return to the starting position by extending your right hip and knee. Once they are straight, bring your foot back in to a standing tall position.
Have a great week everyone, what’s on your fitness plan for this week?
What season is your favourite for outdoor workouts?
PLEASE JOIN THE #MOTIVATEME LINK UP!
THE RULES ARE VERY SIMPLE:
- Every Monday share your fitness, nutrition plan etc by linking them up. All you will need is your post’s URL, and a photo you would like to attach.
- Posts that aren’t related will be deleted.
- In your post, please mention that you’re participating in #MotivateMe Monday link up, and link back to the hosts, Fitness Cheerleader at FitnessCheerleader.com, & Running Rachel at RunningRachel.com.
- Read what the other linkers, are sharing. Visit at least 2 other bloggers’ posts and share some support by commenting and engaging with each other. The more you support, the more support you will get back.